The Advantages of being Young

Have you ever thought that you are too young to do something? Have you ever wanted to achieve something but thought that you'll do it when you are older? I know I have. However, here's some thoughts that hopefully will get you pumped to try things that your peers have never dreamt of doing.

As a young person, you do get some slack in the world. People understand that you don't have much experience, and they won't expect perfection out of you. This is why sometimes a 20 year-old can beat a 30 year-old for a job - because the 20 year-old is more impressive. As a result of this lowered expectation, it's much easier for you to be impressive. The surest and simplest way for a young person to impress others is to do things beyond his/her years, do things that others of the same age do not do.

The benefit of being able to impress is vast. I once emailed a top executive of a fortune 500 company, and he was impressed enough to offer me a job based on that one email.

Another advantage of being young is that people are more open to help you.

This summer, I'm planning to go on a trade mission. In order to do so, I must establish partnerships and gain sponsorships in the community. This is something that most people never thought of doing at 19. So when I called a government official to see if he would be open to discuss the opportunities. After I gave the secretary my pitch on what I'm doing, she said.."wait...and you are a university student you said?"

Simple as that, she promised that he will call back and touch base me soon. It was obvious from her tone that she was impressed and wanted to help me out (understanding that as a university student, I indeed need the help). Imagine a 40 year-old calling the secretary and asking for suggestions! She would understandably be more critical in that case.

So, don't ever hold back on something just because you think you are too young. This is the number one secret of successful young adults. They don't ever question if they are ready, if they are old enough...because it's just so much easier!

Go out there and do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment